How to use
- Search target
computer for new updates
- Download updates
needed to the target computer. This can be done from the same target
computer if connected to internet or on any other computer connected.
- Search again the
target computer. This is needed because
it is only during the Search Phase that updates are physically
copied to the "Software Distribution" directory.
- Install all
updates of your choice.
Under the Hood of PortableUpdate
PortableUpdate update every internet unplugged computer by means of
- Copy the update from the external cache (that is from the USB
drive) to the Windows update's internal cache (Software
- Invoke the Windows Update's Install procedure providing the
copied update as parameter.
The external cache will be filled only once per update session using
the same tool on another computer connected to internet.
- Once downloaded the updates needed from the Windows® Update site
to the PortableUpdate cache, they remain here ready for every
computer that needs that update in the future or for the same
computer if you need to install it again.
Thus, the complete algorithm is condensed in two phases:
The "Unplugged" Phase
- Scan the unplugged computer to take note of
all updates that are needed;
this is accomplished using the standard Windows Update Agent
- If the update are already present in the PortableUpdate cache,
fill the internal Windows Update cache (this pass is possible only
during the scan phase);
- Install one, two or all update copied in the previous step.
The "Plugged" Phase
- Download from the Windows® Update site all the update needed to
all computer searched in the "Unplugged" Phase to filling the
- Go back to the start of the "Unplugged" Phase.
See the screenshot page for
PortableUpdate works with:
- Microsoft Windows 10®;
- Microsoft Windows 8.1®;
- Microsoft Windows 8®;
- Microsoft Windows 7®;
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012® R2;
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012®;
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008® R2;
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008®;
- Microsoft Windows Xp® starting from Sp1;
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003®;
- Microsoft Windows Vista®;
- Microsoft Windows 2000® starting from SP3;
How to Install
You may download the most recent version of PortableUpdate
Portable Windows applications, PortableUpdate doesn't need any
setup phase, so once properly installed, it is ready to be run
instantly from any computer.
- From Wikipedia: (..)In order to make properly portable
applications, software applications must leave the computer they run
on exactly as they found it when finished. This means that the
application cannot use the registry, nor store its files anywhere on
the machine other than in the application's installation directory.(..)
The very first time,
PortableUpdate need to be run from a computer connected to internet
to download all the files and information it needs for run
The USB Disk capacity
- before installing, take a look on the USB hard disk free capacity, because the cache directory can grow very quickly;
- Practically speaking, consider an USB disk with at least 15 GB of free space;
- However, space needed depend from how many different OS and how many languages you want update;
- PortableUpdate can download the same update for different os and different languages and it will never delete from cache any old or superseded update;
- If you use, instead, a network share, of course you don't need to worry about free space (it depends from your network share capacity);
- copy the program in a folder on your USB drive, if possible near the root;
- run the program the
very first time while the computer is connected to internet: PortableUpdate automatically create all directories and download all data needed to update any unplugged Microsoft Windows® client;
This is the complete list of all standard software needed to update
a computer from scratch. PortableUpdate can download this
Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls
1The file version, file name and language can change.
PortableUpdate is capable to update this components taking right
information from cab files.